WHAT TO WEAR TO THE RACES
While the jockeys go head to head on the track, our Most Stylish Ladies will be going peep toe to kitten heel for the most prestigious title on Kinsale’s social calendar.
With over 70 entries last year, and even more expected in 2011, the going is tough. So allow us to offer some expert advice to help you over the fashion hurdles.
- New trends for 2011 include 50s/60s references, floral prints, full skirts and bright bright bright colours. This will ensure you stand out from the crowd while working the latest fashion trends.
- Wear a style you know suits you, rather than slavishly following this season’s fashion. Chose a shape to flatter your shape. A well-cut stylish dress or suit is always a good bet.
- Floral prints are popular this summer but don’t be afraid of tribal prints or graphics.
- Lace and crochet are back at the forefront of fashion – chill out in Boho casual or take it up a notch with a more ladylike look. Think Kate Middleton.
- Above the knee is hot this season but don’t go too short – especially if it is windy!One shoulder dresses make a strong style statement but think about wearing a wrap for added warmth. Remember you’re in Ireland!
- Colour blocking is huge, with key colours vibrant reds, strong pink, orange, jewel green and every shade of purple and blue.
- Dress for the weather. Goosebumps are not a good look. If the worst comes to the worst, at least The Mac is Back thanks again to Kate Middleton. Or opt for a cute cardi or shrug to keep complete your look and ward off summer breezes.
- Wear a hat or fascinator that complements your outfit. Your accessory you choose should balance and enhance the outfit, not fight with it.
- There is a special prize for Best Accessories so chose them with care. Wraps, headpieces, jewellery, gloves, handbags, umbrellas and shoes and bags can make or break an outfit so to for quality and style.
- Remember to wear your shoes a few times before the Big Day to avoid race day blisters.
- Personal grooming is a key criteria so ensure hair, nails, tan and makeup are all up to the standard befitting a winner.
SUMMER HAIR STYLE TIPS
If you have long hair, and depending on your choice of outfit, the most popular options are:
- elegant chifron (think Audrey Hepburn)
- soft casual up style (think Kate Middleton)
- soft loose waves (think Cheryl Cole)
For short to medium hair, create lift and volume with a good blow dry into:
- Soft curls/Wave bob
- Bold fringe/bangs
- Pixie crop haircut
Correct styling products will ensure volume and hold on the day regardless of the weather
Hair jewellery and accessories are the perfect way to add interest and elegance to your race outfit. Flowers – fake or fresh – are big this season.
But perhaps the best tip of all is that the judges are looking for Best Dressed, not Fancy Dress. So come as a more polished version of yourself. The most important thing is to be comfortable and have fun.
We are all having to tighten the purse strings so the look for 2011 is more natural and affordable. Bling is out and we’re going back to basics. Style is not only about what you wear, it is about how you wear it. You don’t have to break the bank. High Street fashion can outshine luxury labels when given an individual twist. At the risk of repetition – think Kate and Pippa Middleton!
Register at the Hospitality Suite from 2.00pm on Sunday 5th June 2011. Entries close at 4.00pm.